Consular functions are those duties which are connected with the welfare of Kenya Citizens who are resident, working, visiting or studying in Zambia and Malawi. The functions are spelled out under Article 5 of the Vienna Convention on Consular Regulations, Privilege and Immunities Act Cap 179 of the laws of Kenya and in Kenya Foreign Service Regulations.
The role of the Consular Services office is to:
- Efficiently serve Kenyans and other nationals applying for passports and visas.
- Facilitate the issuance of certificates of birth, death, marriage, and good conduct.
- Provide advice on marriages, divorce, funeral repatriation, legal matters and other distressing situations.
- Making special evacuation arrangements in the cases of terrorism, civil disturbances or natural disasters.
- Legalization/authentication of documents.
- Collating data on Kenyan nationals and Kenyan organizations in Zambia and Malawi